Monday, April 29, 2013

DIY - Flaxseed Hair Gel

One day while I was doing my usual gallivanting on the Internet, I stumbled across instructions for making your very own hair gel from flaxseeds! At first I thought it would too much work to make but once I saw a demonstation, it seemed like a piece of cake. I decided that it was now or never. I picked up a few ingredients, the main one being raw flaxseeds, and began the process of cooking, straining, and cooling that took only about 30 minutes.






Instructions:

  1. Take about a cup of flaxseeds to two cups of water (this will give you plenty!)
  2. Bring the water to a boil and stir
  3. STIR STIR STIR (The water will thicken and you don't want the seeds sticking to the pot)
  4. Once the water reaches a thick gel-like consistency, turn the heat down to low
  5. For this part you will need something to strain it. I chose some cheap stockings from the drug store
  6. Pour some of the gel (seeds and all) into the stocking but remember it is BOILING HOT so please take your time with this.
  7. Use some type of tongs to squeeze the gel downwards into a clean container. This may be a challenge because the gel has gotten so thick.
  8. After several times pouring you should be left with all seeds and barely any gel in your stocking. SAVE those seeds! They can be used again for next time :)
  9. Finally mix in the oils and scents of your choice. Vitamin E should be added in there as well. Be careful not to put too many drops as the smell can easily get overwhelming.
  10. Seal your gels and clean up your kitchen. (Mine got kinda messy)
  11. Story the gel and seeds in the fridge. This helps them last longer (about 3-4 weeks).



I hope this works well for you like it did for me
Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and feedback! It lets me know what you think and gives me some serious motivation to keep the site going. So please share some love and leave a comment! It will make my day!